These are some of the best stethoscopes arrayed in terms of their ease of use, functionality, and acoustic sensitivity. It goes without saying that the stethoscope you use, needs to be durable and must last you for some time to come.
You also need to verify if the stethoscope in question comes with a product warranty as well. And with the right stethoscope, you should be able to diagnose patients effectively.
Faqs Regarding Stethoscopes
Q1) Which Is The Best Stethoscope For Medical Students
A1) We have provided a few suggestions above, you can check and decide which one is the best for you.
Q2) What Sounds Are Best Heard With The Bell Of The Stethoscope
A2) The bell is best for detecting lower pitch sounds, like some heart murmurs, and some bowel sounds.
Q3) Which Stethoscope Is Best For Doctors
A3) If you are a doctor, check out our recommended stethoscopes provided above.
How to Choose Good Stethoscope?
There are numerous brands of stethoscope available in the market, but you need to ensure that you choose one of the best options for yourself. Without doing research, it can’t be easy for you to find the right kind of stethoscope for yourself. Your work also decides what type of stethoscope you will need.
There are unique requirements of every type of professional, like cardiologist, pediatrician, and gynecologist. So, when you are planning to get a stethoscope, you need to know about your needs, and then you can purchase the one which is durable and lightweight. You shouldn’t try to save money when you are going to buy a stethoscope because you do want your neck to be happy.
Accuracy is the most crucial factor which you have to consider while buying the stethoscope. Without checking the accuracy, you can’t buy a perfect tool for you. There are two types of stethoscopes available in the market, and those are acoustic and electronic.
The electronic ones are perfect for people who have to work in noisy areas. Even if you are buying an electronic stethoscope, it should have durable and thick tubing which can help to decrease outside noise and can amplify the sound. Check if the stem of the stethoscope is made from durable material and it should be best for the optimum sound transferring through the chest piece.
When tools break down within some uses, then it can be frustrating because you add your money to it. If that turns out bad for you, then it can ruin your mood, and that’s why you should purchase the stethoscope which can last for a long time.
It should meet all of your basic requirements, and the headset should contain a spring design while the chest piece needs to be hand polished. Titanium and stainless steel chest piece would also be an excellent option. You can invest in the tool with which you can get excellent warranties along with replacement options.
The stethoscope has to stay around your neck for a long time, and that’s why you need the one which is suitable for you. It should come with adjustable ear tips, and you can get the one that is available with a total of three ear tips. You can try the one which is comfortable for you and can keep the outside noise away.
Get the stethoscope with tubing, which is long enough not to make your patient uncomfortable.
Parts of a Stethoscope
When you have a proper guide about the different parts of a stethoscope, it will give you a better idea of which model to purchase. There are seven parts of a stethoscope.
- Chest piece:‘Stethos’ means chest, so we logically start from here. It is that part of the stethoscope that you hold against the patient’s chest.
Littman models have a one-sided chest piece with a tunable diaphragm while acoustic ones have two-sided – one side, the diaphragm, and the other side the bell.
- Diaphragm: Diaphragm can be one-sided or two-sided. Both the models have a flexible ring called the chill ring, which makes an airtight seal. It acts as a buffer that prevents the patient against the coldness of the part.
- The stem: It connects the chest piece to the tubing.
- Acoustic Tubes: These tubes are hollow rubber tubes connecting the chest piece to the ear tubes. Littman models now feature next-generation tubing that has greater resistance to skin oils and alcohol to increase tube life. All Littman cardiology stethoscopes consist of two-lumen tubes: Two sound paths within a single outer tube to eliminate rubbing noise commonly experienced in the traditional twin-tube stethoscope.
- Headset and ear tubes: The headset consists of ear tubes, tension springs, and ear tips. The ear tubes are positioned at anatomically set angles. The headset tension is adjusted according to the individual’s needs. It can be adjusted by either setting apart the ear tubes or squeezing them.
Electric vs. Acoustic Stethoscope
- Acoustic Stethoscope: These are the traditional stethoscopes common for daily use. They have an analog set up and work in traditional methods. It works by transferring sound from the chest piece to the ears of the doctor through the hollow pipes. It has a bell and a diaphragm on either side of the chest piece.
They are not the best ones to use. They are difficult to use in noisy environments or for sounds with low frequency. But they are the best stethoscopes for medical students or for beginners. They are affordable and would suffice their requirements.
Microtone is one of the best acoustic models in the industry. Microtone or MDF stethoscopes can be used if acoustic ones are used.
- Electric Stethoscope: These are amplified stethoscopes. These are versatile stethoscope using electricity to amplify sound. People who face problems in the hearing must opt for this type. It converts the auscultations into electric sound waves for better hearing purposes. You can use headphones, which would reduce the surrounding noise. There is a digital display to read sound waves. You can even switch between the diaphragm and the bell for low and high sound frequency. These are heavy, difficult to carry and require batteries. But they are the best stethoscopes for doctors.
Littman has one of the best models for this type.