The best way to keep your knee safe is to use a knee brace that is designed to protect the knee and at the same time offer moderate support to the knee. Here are some of the basic benefits of using a knee can support.
- Kneecap support can help a person with arthritis or other knee disease stay active without much meditation.
- Some warm-up exercises that people might need to do before performing low-impact exercise demand knee braces to avoid injuries.
- Walking is one of the best exercises a person can do, however, some people might experience knee pain, wearing kneecap support or a knee brace is the best way to reduce the pain. Nevertheless, before using one, it is best recommended that you get a doctor’s advice on which type of knee brace to use.
- A knee cap support can offer the best knee posture which can help any person avoid knee pain
- A knee cap support can help any user to keep his/her muscles, ligaments, and bone from wear and tear during exercise and other works
Types of Knee Caps
There are many variants of knee caps but broadly discussed it comes down to these four types:
Closed Patella Knee Support
These knee caps control moderate swelling. They are also used for brisk walking and jogging. However, it is recommended not to use if you are climbing stairs or while doing squats. This is not advisable because of its closed nature, as folding the knees more than 450 can strain and damage the cap causing more discomfort.
Open Patellar Knee Support
This is similar to the previous one except for the fact that it is open and does not compress the knee cap. It can be used by individuals with pain at the backside of their knees while climbing stairs or when squatting. Both of these are the best knee caps for arthritis.
Hinged Knee Support
These are generally recommended by orthopedic surgeons or in the case of athletes by a sports physician. They are best knee caps for athletes to protect damaged ligaments that have repaired and stabilized. This is the only type that is advisable to be worn all day when you are awake until you are advised to remove it. However, this support is not permitted during sports because of its metal part.
Adjustable Stabilizing Knee Support
Also advisable for athletes, these are for those whose ligaments have been stabilized. They are joining sports again but still have fear. It is allowed because it has no metal.
Patellar tendon support
The patellar tendon is one that stretches from the femur muscle and helps attach the knee cap or patella to the shin bone or tibia. Its main purpose is to straighten the knee but can be damaged by strenuous activity during running or when jumping. This type of knee cap supports this tendon and relieves it of pain by distributing pain over the entire tendon.
Ways Knee Cap Will Protect Your Knees
- Helps in arthritis: People suffering from arthritis will especially require knee caps. Wearing an offloader or unloader knee cap can help them. Structure problems in joints and knee can be tough to live with. But the whole purpose of wearing knee caps in such a case is to support the knees, relieving it from pain and helping in functionality. It provides some compression and support to the soft tissues of the knees.
- Helps in exercising: Certain warm-up exercises can be done with much ease by wearing knee caps. This would further prevent injury.
- Safety brace for your knees: A good knee cap is often used to keep your leg muscles and ligaments in good condition. They keep those protected and safe. However, a well-fitted knee cap is a must to maximize benefit.
- Improves posture: it may not be quite obvious at first. But knee pain often hurts your back by impacting our posture. So wearing a knee cap is a good way to improve posture.
How to Use Knee Caps?
Use your knee caps as your doctor has asked you to do. You wear knee caps depending on the kind and what disease it is treating. Sometimes they are told to be worn all throughout. Some are used only during sports or specific activities. So go by your doctor’s advice. You should check the position and fittings of your knee cap as well.
Poorly positioned and badly fitted knee caps do more harm than good. Also, take care of your knee cap as they tend to get damaged when regularly used. Clean your knee caps every day so that the fabric remains in good quality.
If there is any metal that is exposed, covered it well for your safety purpose.
Buyer’s Guide to Buying the best Knee Cap Supports
This buying guide can help you purchase the best kneecap from the Indian market today. Before purchasing kneecap support, you should know that wearing kneecap support for a long time is not at all recommended, like the old saying “Timing is everything”. Heavy-duty kneecap support can keep the knee safe and can help the user reduce knee pain.
If you wear the kneecap for a long time it can weaken your muscles and ligaments around your kneecap. Now let us look into the key factors that can help you select the best kneecap support from the market today.
Support Vs Mobility
There are different types of kneecap supports available on the market today; however, most people do not know the fact that the more support the knee brace offers, the more restrictive the braces tend to be. Too much restrictive kneecap support can disrupt your daily life works like walking, playing, etc.
Therefore, it is very important to select and purchase kneecap support that suits your requirement and that does not restrict the easy movement of your leg.
Type of material
Kneecap support or knee braces can be made of different materials and each type of material can offer different benefits and drawbacks. With this being said, you should know that not all people have the same type of skin and not all people are compatible using different kneecap material.
For example, Lycra is one of the most common materials used to make kneecap support, however, this material has a disadvantage, the material is comparatively tough and if you sweat, it can stick to your skin.
This is why it is very important that you purchase kneecap support that is made of a material that suits your skin. Please remember, if you are a person with sensitive skin then, you should be extra careful while selecting the material.
Maintenance and washability
Kneecap support is designed to support and protect your knee from damages and from any knee diseases. However, for some people wearing socks is not an easy task so they purchase the ones with Velcro straps and some kneecap supports are made of non-water resistant materials, which makes the braces not good for reuse.
Therefore, it is very important that if by any chance you have no issue wearing the kneecap support then, avoid using braces with Velcro straps, so that you can wash the braces after each use.
Type of kneecap support
As mentioned above, there are different types of kneecap support available on the market today. Here are a few of the best types of kneecap supports
- Knee sleeve – A knee sleeve comes in different sizes and it is designed to slip right over your knee without much mess. This type of kneecap support helps to reduce swelling and pain and is the best remedy to get rid of mild knee pain.
- Wraparound braces – This type of kneecap is designed to wrap the braces around the knee, in order, to reduce moderate knee pain and this type of braces provides better support than knee sleeves. This type of kneecap support is comparatively lightweight than other braces.
- Hinged knee braces – A hinged knee brace is best recommended for people with injuries or post-surgery. This product comes designed to protect the alignment when it bends.
- Knee strap – This type of kneecap support is designed for runners or jumpers with knee pain. One of the notable things about this type of braces is that it can fit under the clothes with ease. A knee strap will compress the patellar tendon which, in turn, will minimize the knee pain
It is very important that you wear kneecap support if you have any knee issues. That is not all of it kneecap support can also help any user prevent knew issues.